Juggling the holidays and work can be difficult for anyone, but it can be especially challenging for those whose work takes them on the road for long periods of time. Bay & Bay Transportation has some helpful tips to keep your holidays as peaceful and balanced as possible!
- Make your own celebrations! Many people who do not work a traditional 9-5 job are familiar with either missing a major holiday or celebrating it on a different day, close to the actual holiday.
- Keep in mind, and remind family members, that the actual day is not what is important, but the time spent with family or friends
- Try to be flexible, if possible, and enjoy your holiday celebration when you are able to. Sometimes those celebrations which take place just for your family can be even more special and memorable. Thanksgiving on Saturday? No problem!
- Keep in touch via technology! Truck drivers are no strangers to keeping in touch by using technology. Make sure you’re taking every advantage of technology to take part in as much of your family’s holiday celebration as possible. Use Skype or FaceTime to read a special holiday story to the kids, to participate in part of a family meal, or to watch presents being opened. Check to see if your place of worship has a streaming web feed of their service and attend worship services virtually.
- And of course, when you are on the road and don’t have time to stop and shop, don’t forget the ease of online shopping for gifts! Technology has truly changed the way we are able to spend time with our families and friends!
- Find others who are in the same situation! If you are stuck traveling on a holiday this year, try to make connections with others in the same boat. The truck driving community is a family, and a meal on Thanksgiving or Christmas when far from home feels less lonely if it is shared with a coworker or friend!
Bay & Bay Transportation understands the hardships of a life on the road. We hope to make it as easy as possible for you this holiday season! Call us today!